GREEN INDIA MISSION
WHAT - It is one of the 8 missions under the National Action Plan on Climate Change.
- Aims at doubling the area of afforestation area to 20 million hectares
- Increase the GHG removals by India’s forests to 6.35% of total GHG emissions by 2020
- Enhance the resilience of forests/ecosystems- to improve groundwater recharge, biodiversity value, minor forest produce- which will also support forest-dependent communities.
- Stress on improving quality of forests and not just quantity. Thus increase cover and density of medium and degraded forests.
- Take a holistic view of forests to consider biodiversity conservation and enhancement, restore ecosystems of grasslands, mangroves, wetlands. It is not confined to traditional plantation forestry method that
- Active participation of local communities in conservation and afforestation.
- Engage citizens and civil society in designing the Mission.
National Consultation Document on National Mission for Green India, June 2011, MoEF moef.nic.in/downloads/public-information/green-india-mission.pdf