This quiz relates to the topic:
"The Structure of Government and the Economic Policies of the British Empire in India, 1757-1857"
1. What were the main objectives of the Government of India in the period 1757-1857?
2. How did the rise of manufacturing class change British policies towards India?
3. Who devised the "Permanent Settlement"?
4. State True/False
(a) The Regulating Act 1773 created a Board of Control which would supervise the Court of Directors
(b) The Pitts India Act 1784 provided for a Governor-General and a council of 3 members to govern.
(c) The Charter Act 1813 ended the EIC's monopoly over trade with China and tea-trade.
(d) The Charter Act 1833 ended EIC's monopoly over trade with India.
(e) The Charter Act 1833 set up the Law Commission to codify laws.
(f) The Law Commission was headed by Lord Macaulay and its work contributed to forming the IPC, CrPC, CPC.
5. When did the EIC acquire Diwani rights to Bengal.
6. Why was the Battle of Buxar decisive for the British?
7. Who were the EIC's detractors in Britain?
8. What was the opportunity which initiated the reorganisation in Company and British Government relations?
9. Why did the Regulation Act 1773 break down in practice?
10. Why did the Indian rulers encourage the establishment of British factories in India?
11. What are "investments"?
12. When and where was the first telegraph line introduced in India?
13. What were some of the transport and communication innovations introduced/pioneered by Lord Dalhousie?
14. Who introduced Permanent Settlement in India?
15. Why did the British recognize Zamindars as proprietors of land?